- Qualified individuals will be recruited and trained to form teams which will engage children in homes, schools and communities. They will be equipped the knowledge and skills to build meaningful relationship with children and youths, helping them to access appropriate resources in the community.
- Teams will consist of at least two individuals will be assigned to schools to work with the teachers to identify children who are at the greatest risk for failure.
- These children would be referred to Operation R.E.S.C.U.E. for a comprehensive assessment.
- Following consultations with the various stake holders such as families, teachers and community leaders such as pastors and members of other community organizations, a comprehensive plan of engagement will be developed for each child.
- This plan will be individualized to the needs of each child, taking into consideration the unique circumstances which exist in each child’s life.
- The purpose of the plan will be to set attainable goals for each child and identify each areas of need, with action plans to accomplish each goal
- The plan will set goals in every area of the child’s life namely:
8. The most responsible person will be assigned to each goal that has been developed in the plan. It will be that person’s responsibility to ensure that there is supervision to ensure that the particular goal that is assigned to them is met.
9. This plan will be reviewed and signed off by all the stake holders such as parents, teachers, the child and community leaders.
10. The plan will guide every action of the child and there will be clear expectations and consequences.
11. The plan will be reviewed frequently and the necessary changes made to ensure the effectiveness of the plan.
12. The plan can be incentivized to encourage motivation on the child’s part, but intrinsic motivation will be best practice.
13. Operation R.E.S.C.U.E. will be responsible for the commission and supervision of all plans.
14. Operation R.E.S.C.U.E. will do the following:
- Conduct frequent visits to schools and liaise with teachers and guidance counsellors regarding the performance and the well-being of each child under the care of Operation R.E.S.C.U.E. (O.R.)
- Conduct home visits to liaise with parents and guardians regarding the well-being of each child.
- Liaise with community stakeholders such as pastors to ensure that each child is engaged in meaningful activities outside of the home.
- Attends important appointments with the child to provide support and encouragement. Some of these appointments can be for medical or legal purposes.
- Assist families to access resources in the community such as employment, education, housing or medical in nature.
- Conduct seminars and workshops for educators, parents and the general public to enhance knowledge and skills such as parenting styles, positive communication, relationship building and
- Conduct daily team meetings with stakeholders to discuss matters of urgent concerns and to develop daily interventions.
- Conduct assessment of each child to develop a trusting and caring relationship.
- Provide regular feedback to parents to ensure that they are actively engaged in the progress of each child.
- Establish a crisis response team and a crisis emergency telephone line to address emergency concerns and intervene accordingly. This emergency telephone line will be operated on a 24 hours basis and will be staffed by professionals who are proficient in crisis intervention skills.
- Refer children for professional services such as psychological counselling where necessary.
- Have award recognition ceremonies where each student/youth is recognized for their intrinsic worth and value as human-beings.
Three Fold Outcome
The outcomes of the program are three-fold:
1)Develop an understanding of the role faith plays in success
2)Performance improvement in work/ school.
3)Proficiency in the Ministry of Education’s (Canada) six learning skills and work habits of:
- Independent work
In view of the fact that children perform much better, when they have caring adults in their lives, this initiative is a bold attempt to recognize and resolve this glaring deficiency in the lives of these unattached children in Jamaica.
A consistent complaint among teachers and Guidance Counselors, is that they are already overwhelmed with the responsibility of teaching the children, they have no time or resources to resolve some of the deep-seated problems which threatens to derail the education and future of these children. This is exactly what Operation R.E.S.C.U.E. will seek to address.
Other Possible Initiatives
1) Support for seniors and shut ins
2) Support for the homeless
3) Support for individuals with mental illness
4) Single mothers support
5) Soup kitchens
6) Homework support for children
7) Tool bank for unemployed youths
8) Church Twinning-Jamaica/North America
9) Family Fun-days
10) Community walk abouts
11) Community clean ups
What You Can Do
Pray about the plight of our children and youths and ask the Lord to show you how to get involved.
The greatest need of any child or youth is the presence of a caring person in their lives. Many of these are youths have experienced very traumatic life circumstances and they have nobody to listen to them. They need caring adults to connect with them and help them to navigate life. You can share your life experiences with them and make a difference.
Get In Touch
We would love to hear from you, if you have a passion for children and want to make a difference in Jamaica.